Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Molly's Little Journey

Today I would love to take you all on Molly's journey to get here on earth. I will start with the day of my due date, and end with us leaving the hospital. Don't worry...I won't go into any gory details of the actual birth and delivery...I am on borrowed time today, I have to get a certain someone to her 2 year check-up!

Here I am on my actual due date, August 3, 2007. As you can clearly see, no baby yet. My doctors told me at the beginning of July it would be "any day now", and I naively listened to them!

Just in case the front view was not good enough for you, here is the side. That shirt was not a maternity shirt, just a favorite t-shirt turned maternity. If you knew me in real life, you would know that I am short with long legs. Basically my child had no where to go except the front and sides.

This is about 30 minutes after my water broke on Monday, August 6. I was walking around the mall with my Mom when it happened. I came home and changed my clothes, then called the doctor. I was not going to the hospital with wet britches! Our doctor sent us straight to the hospital since my water broke at 2pm, she figured we would end up there anyways with a baby that night. And PS- I miss my cute house in Cincinnati!

So I got sent home Monday night from the hospital because they told me I had peed my pants, and my water did not truly break. I kept swearing on something that I really did not pee my pants. I was so disappointed because I wanted that baby to just be here already! We went to the doctor the next morning where they did confirm that my water broke, and I was dilated 1 1/2 cm. Lets just put it this way...the doctor should not have wore open toes sandals that day because she finished breaking my water when she went to check me. So the pic above is us back at the hospital, checked-in, and waiting for Molly. Obviously I was not experiencing any pain yet.
Fast forward to Wednesday morning...yes you may be asking yourselves, didn't her water break on Monday?! Yes it did, and ignore everything you heard about delivering a baby within 24 hours, because our doctors did. This was after having a fever for 2 days, blacking out with low blood pressure, Molly's heart rate falling off the monitor, having a trillion doctors and nurses in there to get her heart back up, me having to wear that oh so cute oxygen mask, not being able to eat in days, and finally walking around for like 2 minutes and then they could give me an epidural. However, that was the best sleep I ever had once I got the epidural.

After 50 plus hours of labor, pushing for 4 hours, Molly getting stuck somewhere down there, being sunny side up, it taking 3 doctors to literally pull her out with the forceps, and having the worst back labor any woman should ever have, she made her grand appearance at 7:20pm, August 8, 2007.

The Happy Family leaving the hospital Friday morning. I am not going to lie, it was a rough couple of days, not just for me, but for Eric too. But it was and is all worth it in the end. I now have a wonderful, sweet, strong-willed little Molly. God has truly blessed us with a fabulous daughter, and for that I thank him daily.


Kari said...

Oh my goodness! You worked hard for Molly! And it the midst of it all you always had a smile on your face. Kudos to you!

Well, I always love reading your blogs so I've given you an award on my blog today. Thanks for your wonderful posts. It's on my good reading list and I like keeping up with you and your family :o)

Kristin said...

Wow, girlfriend! I feel so bad for you! Ha!! Molly is so precious! I love the belly pics! :) That's so neat that her Birthday is the day before Lily's, but Lily was born in 2006. I hope you have a great time at her party! I can't wait to see pics!

Molly's Grandma said...

I cannot believe that it's almost been 2 whole years! Time has been flying, I don't even want to think of when she starts school. I am still humbled that you and Eric permitted me to be present for Molly's birth, and don't even get me started on your blood pressure going through the floor, everyone was worried about baby Molly and I was worried for my baby Kate. I love you my blue-eyed girl, Mom

Jenilee said...

WOW WOW WOW!!! I can't believe everything you went through! Amazing what women go through to give birth!

And, I have that same yellow shirt. From Old Navy right? :) Great shirt. :)

Katie said...

You poor thing, normally it isn't that ruff, so don't let it scare you for the next one. My first labor was long too, but by Drew he about flew out on the way to the hospital. Glad everything went okay.

Becca said...

My gosh girl! That is one heck of a birth story! I cannot believe you were in labor for 50 plus hours!!! And then had to push for 4 hours! You poor thing!

Loved all the pics and reading your story!

April said...

Oh dear Kate!! LOL I love that you were writing what your heart was saying (hard times here!), but your face in every photo was saying "I love this!" LOL What a birth story! I wish it wouldn't have been that strenuous for you! I feel like mine was a breeze compared that! ... you will hear that story at the end of October :) Marking our little man's 1 year!

By the way - I too was indicted the fashion clad oxygen mask! For real, wasn't that annoying?!?

Unknown said...

Wow! What a labor! You deserve a serious pat on the back for the 50 hrs alone. But you're right, it's worth it in the end.